The department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, started in 2007, has well equipped state-of-the-art laboratories and separate Computer Centre with advanced software packages for study and analysis of Electrical Machines, Power Systems and Power Electronic Systems. A Research Centre affiliated to VTU was started in 2014 and currently 5 faculty members of the department are carrying out their research in the emerging areas. The department has specialized laboratories like Solar skill development lab and Bosch-Rexroth CoE, which are unique to SDMIT. The department is also recognized by Sector Council for Green Jobs (SCGJ) for conducting skill development courses in renewable energy sector.
Why Electrical and Electronics Engg. at SDMIT?
- Our Students secured University Ranks and are successfully working in leading industries like Robert Bosch Ltd, ABB, KPTCL, KPCL, PRDC, Kirloskar Electric Company, Wipro, IBM, ACCORD Software, Tech Mahindra, Accenture,Sankalp Semiconductors, Solar Power Companies etc., and also, the Department will encourage students to become leading entrepreneurs.
- The Department has a VTU Research Centre to support scholars to carry out innovative and sponsored Research Projects. In addition, the Department motivates students to pursue their higher studies at leading universities in India and Abroad. All-round development of students is assured in the Department with Good Quality.
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering is a branch which creates ample opportunities for the Students to build their career in the field of Hardware, Software, Embedded and Electromechanical Systems. Electrical Engineering Graduates finds jobs in Government, Semi-Government and Private Sectors all around the World.
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department at SDMIT is equipped with full-fledged modern laboratories, experienced faculty members, placement oriented training facilities and effective mentorship to guide students to achieve successful career with professional Value.
- Mr. Vilas S secured 2nd rank in VTU examination and received an award at 19th VTU Annual Convocation which was held at VTU, Belagavi on 8th February 2020.
- Dr. K. Manjunath, Professor and Head guided a student project title “Design and Implementation of Induction Heater for Solid Waste Management System” was selected for VTU financial assistance in the academic year 2018-2019. This project was carried out by the students Mr. Vilas, Mr. Mahesh B M, Ms. Swathi and Ms. Sunitha.
- Mr. Somashekar D.P, Assistant Professor guided a student project title “Power Loss Minimization Using Network Reconfiguration in Distribution Systems” was selected for VTU financial assistance in the academic year 2018-2019. This project was carried out by the students Mr. Nishant D Nayak, Mr. Chiranth M Jain, Mr. Swaroop Shetty and Mr. Arjun Joshi.
- Mr. Vignesh K, 3rd semester student secured 1st prize in 16th State Level Open Karate Championship-2018, Black Belt (50-60 kg division) and which was organized by Shorin Ryu Karate Association held at Ganjimutt, Moodbidri on 8th September 2018.
- Ms. Chinmayi R, 5th semester student participated in the VTU Mangaluru Zonal Throwball Tournament and the team won runners up in the tournament held at St. Joseph College of Engineering, Vamanjoor, Mangaluru on 9th October 2018.
- Ms. Gayathri, 7th semester and Ms. Chinmayi R, 5th semester students were selected for VTU Women Kabaddi Team to participate in the All India Kabaddi Tournament held at North University, Bengaluru from 12th to 15th November 2018.
- Mr. Sudhir Pai and Mr. Srinidhi M of 6th semester students have won 1st prize for technical paper presentation with the paper entitled “Simulated Impact of Sunlight on a Solar PV Panel” in “Tantrajna” at KVG College of Engineering, Sullia on 20th April 2016.
- Mr. Srinidhi M, 7th semester student participated and won the “Runners up trophy” in “VTU South Mangalore Zone- Badminton Tournament” held at Yenepoya Institute of Technology, Moodbidri on 22nd and 23rd September 2016.
- Mr. Srinidhi M, 7th semester student participated in the university level “VTU Inter-Zonal Badminton Tournament” held at RYMEC, Bellary from 24th to 27th September 2016.
- Dr. K. Manjunath, Professor and Head guided a student project title “Design and Development of New Electrical Power Generation Unit using Vibrations of Shock Absorber” and selected for All India Project Exhibition organized by ABVP State Level Project Exhibition held at New Horizon College of Engineering, Bangalore from 2nd to 4th May 2015.
Entrepreneurship Awareness Camp
The “Entrepreneurship Awareness Camp” was organized for 6th semester EEE students from 27th to 29th February 2020 in collaboration with IE & DC. Mr. Sundar Sherigar, Asst. Director, MSME, Mangalore, and Mr. Revankar, Dharwad were the resource persons of this camp. They discussed the process to set up an enterprise, and the role of an entrepreneur, and various government agencies and schemes available to set up an enterprise.
Industrial visit to Solar PV Power Plant
The industrial visits are organized to “Solar PV Power Plant at Government Hospital and Vinayaka Rice Mill, Belthangady” for 8th semester EEE students on 6th March 2020.These visits help in gaining practical knowledge on Solar PV plants, its maintenance, and also on the applications of motor drives, switchgear systems, and protection schemes employed.
Industrial visit to Campco Chocolate Factory and Megha Fruit Processing Limited The industrial visits are organized to “Campco Chocolate Factory and Megha Fruit Processing Limited, Puttur” for 4th semester and 6th semester EEE students on 7th March 2020. These visits help the students to gain knowledge on applications of motor drives and switchgear systems.
Workshop on PCB Design & Fabrication
The workshop was organized on “PCB Design & Fabrication” for the 6th semester, EEE students, and 4th semester, ECE students on 30th and 31st March 2019. Mr. Jayanath was the resource person for the workshop. He demonstrated many electrical circuit designs and its fabrication with applications.
Understanding Job opportunities in Electrical Engineering
A guest lecture was organized on “The Job opportunities in Electrical Engineering” for 7th semester EEE students on 31st August 2019. Mr. Doddabasava, Test Engineer-2, Tessolve Semiconductor Pvt. Ltd., Bengaluru was the resource person. He discussed the importance of semiconductor design and testing in chip manufacturing companies.
Understanding Electric Vehicles & Its Control
A guest lecture was organized on “Electric Vehicles & Its Control” for students of EEE and Mechanical Engineering department on 16th November 2019. Dr. Sanjeev K Nayak, Technical Specialist (Automotive Division), L & T Technology Services Ltd., Bangalore was the resource person. He discussed the various design aspects of electrical vehicles and hybrid vehicles and the importance of battery technology.
Visit to Varahi Underground Power House & Mani-Dam
The industrial visit was organized to “Varahi Underground Power House & Mani-Dam” Hosangadi, Udupi for 4th semester EEE students on 15th March 2017. This technical visit provides practical knowledge on the electrical power generation from hydropower plants, its operation, and its maintenance.
Advanced Solar Training Programme
Five days of training program was organized for 6th semester and 8th-semester students of the EEE department on “Advanced Solar Training Programme” in collaboration with kWatt Solution Pvt. Ltd., IIT Bombay, on 12th to 17th April 2017. Mr. Shetty Avinash, Mr. Deepak Chouhan, and Mr. Kunal Solanki were the resource persons from kWatt Solutions Pvt. Ltd. The resource persons discussed the types of renewable energy sources, it’s harvesting techniques and the software which are used for the analysis of solar PV plant and its operation.
Understanding Industrial Automation, Training and Job opportunities
One day seminar was organized for 6th semester and 8th semester EEE students on “Industrial Automation, Training and Job opportunities” in collaboration with Prolific Systems & Technologies Pvt. Ltd., Bengaluru on 17th May 2017. Mr. H.S. Shivashankar was the resource person and the Branch Manager from Prolific Systems and Technologies Pvt. Ltd. He discussed the importance of automation and its necessity in companies.
|Sl. No.||Name||Qualification||Designation||Experience (years)|
|1.||Dr. K. Manjunath||BE||M E||Ph.D||Professor & Head||30||–||01|
|2.||Dr. Sathyanarayana.P.||B E||M Tech||Ph.D||Associate Professor||12||–||01|
|3.||Mr. Subrahmanya Bhat||B E||M Tech||(Ph.D.)||Assistant Professor||17||–||–|
|4.||Mr. Santosh N.||B E||M Tech||–||Assistant Professor||15||–||02|
|5.||Mr. Somashekar D.P.||B E||M Tech||(Ph D)||Assistant Professor||10||–||–|
|6.||Mr. Antheesh R||B E||M Tech||(Ph.D.)||Assistant Professor||07||–||03|
|7.||Ms. Veena Bhat||B E||M Tech||–||Assistant Professor||13||–||10|
|8.||Mr. Pradeep K A||B E||M Tech||–||Assistant Professor||10||–||–|
|9.||Mr. Vineeth Kumar P.K.||B Tech||M Tech||(Ph.D.)||Assistant Professor||5.5||–||–|